Housekeeping Matter #25: Need Some Help . . .

Friends and followers of our weekly podcast, Radio Free Gunslinger,

For reasons I am unable to divine (or correct), the latest edition, #64, is not turning up on iTunes. The only anomaly/clue I've found is that the .mp3 file isn't included in the feed.

Can anyone . . . perhaps a fellow podcaster who may have run into this problem as well . . . tell me why this is(n't) happening and how to fix it? I'd like to share the wealth (such as it is) as far and as wide as I possibly can.

Thanks.

4 comments:

John Shandor said...

Can you not edit the feed code itself? In my own situation it is a simple matter to edit or insert the MP3 URL.

Gordon Whiting said...

I had a similar problem for the radio show and podcast I produce, In Deep with Angie Coiro, and it was quite a mystery to unravel. Over the course of time we have discovered many quirks about how unforgiving iTunes is for podcast XML. The solution for this was to convert the MP3 to Apple native m4a file, include the url in the feed-- with all pointer tags (link, enclosure, and guid) listing the hosting url of said m4a. And make sure the enclosure tag has the clause type="m4a." We found this works, and btw, it's an iTunes bug that causes this. And it is random in appearance. Good luck!

Tom Sutpen said...

Gordon:

So you're saying this could be a one-time occurrence?

Gordon Whiting said...

Tom-- Yes, but the cautionary word is 'random.' It happened to us three times to us over 100-odd podcasts, and there was absolutely no change in mechanics of the feed.