The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

George Jones dies at 81
The Cool Hall of Fame #258


George Jones

Well I've come here to tell you folks I'm ragged but I'm right
I'm a tramp and a gambler I stay out late at night
But a porterhouse steak steak three times a day for my board
That's more than any loafer in this old town can afford
Well I got a big electric fan to keep me cool while I sleep
A little baby boy playin' round at my feet
I'm a rambler and a gambler and I've lead a dirty life
Well I tell you folks I'm ragged but I'm right

Well then I got married I knew I'd settle down
And I built a little love nest right here in my hometown
Now I've got a family one that I'm proud of
I know that I'll be happy cause they're the ones I love
Well I got a big electric fan...
I tell you folks I'm ragged but I'm right

I'm a rambler and a gambler I've led a dirty life
Well I tell you folks I'm ragged but I'm right


You can read the New York Times obit if you want, I'm just gonna pour a couple of fingers of rye and stare out the window. Relief is just a swallow away.

5 comments :

estiv said...

Thanks. I listened to "A Good Year For the Roses" three times straight.

genn jene said...

the race is off

sabutin said...

A greatly talented musician. He couldn't sing a bad note and he couldn't sing anything that did not have massive amounts of emotional meaning.

They called Ray Charles "The Genius."

Him too.

Bet on it.

lmcknash said...

Left a shot of good Tennessee whiskey out on the deck last night in case he came around.

a-natural-man said...

He's not dead. He's just playing possumn.