The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Radio Free Gunslinger #35: Rat Race Noise



Your host for this edition of Radio Free Gunslinger, entitled 'Rat Race Noise,' is Ogden Nash

The Content

First Sequence:
Gerry Goffin - Star Collector (demo)
Tony Orlando - Halfway to Paradise
The Monkees - So Goes Love
Bobby Goldsboro - The Time for Us
The Myddle Class - I Happen to Love You

Second Sequence:
Gene Pitney - Every Breath I Take
The Ronettes - Is This What I Get for Loving You?
Arlene Smith - He Knows I Love Him Too Much
The Righteous Brothers - Just Once in My Life
The Crystals - He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)

Third Sequence:
The Beatles - Don't Ever Change
Barley-Bree - Sometime in the Morning
Herman's Hermits - Walkin' With My Angel
The Rockin' Berries - He's in Town
The Zombies - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?

Fourth Sequence:
Skeeter Davis - Let Me Get Close to You
Simone White - I Didn't Have Any Summer Romance
Donna Loren - Just a Little Girl
The Honeybees - Some of Your Lovin'
Carole King - Take Good Care of My Baby (demo)

Summation:
Viola Wills - Up On the Roof

2 comments :

WillyC said...

"He hit me" is one disturbing song.

swac said...

I read Nash's You Can't Get There From Here when I was 7. I think more kids should read him.