Radio Free Gunslinger #5:
Victor Jara Was a Communist!



Your host for this edition of Radio Free Gunslinger, entitled 'Victor Jara Was a Communist!,' is Phil Ochs.

The Content

First Sequence:
Kid Smith and Family - Mama, You're a Mess
Walter Morris - Betsey Brown
Fiddlin' John Carson, w. Moonshine Kate - Swanee River
The Grant Brothers & Their Music - Tell It to Me
Ben Curry (Blind Bogus Ben Covington) - Adam and Eve in the Garden

Second Sequence:
Françoise Hardy - La fille avec toi
Chantal Goya - Comment le revoir
Sheila - Le rêve
Sylvie Vartan - M'amuser
France Gall - Nounours

Third Sequence:
Cole Porter - Two Little Babes in the Woods
Carole King - Just Once in My Life
Kurt Weill - Speak Low
David Bowie - Lady Stardust
Harold Arlen - A Sleepin' Bee

Fourth Sequence:
Johnny Jano - Havin' a Whole Lot of Fun
Warren Storm - Mama, Mama, Mama (Look What Your Little Boy's Done)
Tommy Angel - Black Night
Jackson Toombs - Kiss-a Me Quick
The Surf Riders - I'm Out

Summation:
Bill Cosby - Martin's Funeral

7 comments:

Robert Fiore said...

The link seems to lead to #4, not #5.

Tom Sutpen said...

I know . . . and it was sixteen and a half hours before anyone spotted it.

I guess that's better than sixteen days, huh.

Mark J said...

What a beautiful guitar, a Swedish Hagstrom, same model Elvis borrowed for his comeback special. Such a shame that Phil had, um, less success when he "went electric" than did The Magus...

Is there a link to the song list? Love this series!

-Mark J.

Jerome Raim said...

Thanks for compiling this playlist. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to finding out the names of artists and songs soon!

swac said...

Makes me wonder if I should post an episode based on my mix CD of songs inspired by Hitchcock movies, or my ongoing series of mix tapes/CDs of songs about coffee.

Vanwall said...

Sounds like a plan, Stephen.

JoHnny ~ said...

the next gr8 american hero will be a communist ~