The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Radio Free Gunslinger #1



Today we inaugurate, for your listening and downloading pleasure, this blog's very own Podcast series, Radio Free Gunslinger: A guided tour through the chthonic regions of 20th century Western culture and the society it reflected.

At least that's what it says on the wrapper.

Your host for this edition is Albert Ayler.

The Content

First Sequence:
Charles Mingus - Eat That Chicken
Buddy & Ella Johnson - That's How I Feel About You
Buck Clayton & His Orchestra - Cool Breeze Woman
Scott Engel - I Broke My Own Heart
The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - I Won't Hurt You

Second Sequence:
The Dead Milkmen - Beach Party Vietnam
Honey, Ltd. - The Warrior
Scott Merrill, George Tyne & John Astin - Army Song
Free Blue - Set Calley Free, Part 1
Evan Greer - The Day All the Democrats Won

Third Sequence:
Randy Newman - Marie (Demo)
Lou Rawls - Let's Burn Down the Cornfield
Gene Pitney - Nobody Needs Your Love
Harper's Bizarre - The Biggest Night of Her Life
Blood, Sweat and Tears - Just One Smile

Fourth Sequence:
The Marks - Greensleeves
Human Instinct - A Day in My Mind's Mind
Four Just Men - Things Will Never Be the Same
King's Ransom - Shame
The Beat Merchants - Pretty Face

Summation:
Kid Ory & His Orchestra - The World is Waiting for the Sunrise

8 comments :

Frank Coleman said...

Bravo!

minus said...

Looks like a great idea. Here's hoping you will make this available as a downloadable MP3 file.

Tom Sutpen said...

Frank:

Thankye kindly . . .

minus

I knew I'd left something out!

Problem corrected.

Greg said...

I have it on my phone from when I downloaded it the other day. It's excellent. I'd like to attempt it myself but think I'd fail miserably.

Howdy said...

Music to view the Gunslinger by, Outstanding! Hope to see and hear more!

EDF said...

I love this! Thank you! Can you include a track list? Thanks again!

chained and perfumed said...

Yeah, good stuff. And I see volume 2 is already posted.

Gaston said...

A nice new wrinkle on the lost art of the mix tape.