The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Future is Now #42


1953. Swanson introduces the TV Dinner (and trademarks the name).

9 comments :

Peter Nellhaus said...

Sodium - it's what's for dinner!

Christopher said...

used to eat those for munchies by the trunk load watching late night horror movies back in high school daze.

Fred said...

My brothers and I used to have these all the time when my parents went out for the evening, which is pretty amazing considering my mom is a registered dietician. Well, at least the peach cobbler was good.

Greg said...

I used to love TV Dinners when I was a kid. By the time the late eighties and early nineties rolled around, Stouffers took over and microwavable meals were a lot more sophisticated, relatively speaking, of course. But I loved the peas and mashed potatoes and the little cobbler dessert. Salisbury Steak was my favorite. And the dessert always had a happy face under it!

Christopher said...

the mashed 'taters in whatever and Salisbury Steak were always good and reliable..Sometime the dark meat in the fried Chicken ones were a little funky..I cut my teeth on Universal- Inner Sanctum Mysteries and butcher'd Mario Bava style horror on Tv Dinners on late night tv in the late 60s and early 70s.

estiv said...

"I like the enchiladas and the teriyaki too
I even like the chicken if the sauce is not too blue."

Fred said...

One of my favorite parts of the TV Dinner experience was the constant need to peel back different parts of the tin foil as the meal cooked. You start off with the peach cobbler exposed, and then have to remove the tinfoil over the mashed potatoes halfway through. Too bad nobody told me to use pot holders while attempting this maneuver.

Christopher said...

I used to flop on a huge glob of butter on the mashed potatos and turn it into soup!

swac said...

I preferred Radio Dinners...