The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The First Person You See #5


Addie Loggins (Tatum O'Neal), Paper Moon (d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1973)

5 comments :

Bob Probst said...

I remember seeing this movie on some lazy Sunday afternoon on TV when I was 17 or so. I still remember the awe I had for the beauty of the opening scenes. It changed the way I watched movies forever.

blankemon said...

I watched this again recently for the first time since I was a kid and was blown away. Tatum is hilarious and touching in the part. "THEN GIT IT!"

marietta said...

A little boy is crying,heartbreaking.His mother want to comfort him.he reaming his eyes.mama said:" if you reaming your eyes a little bit longer,then you can see many colored flowers,clouds and mist.another day mother is lying on chaiselongue,he is very sad.the boy come to his mother look in her face und say:"mamy,may i reaming a few flowers and clouds for you?

Fred said...

I remember seeing this when it first came out. I was 9 and immediately wanted her to be my girlfriend. Seeing her Bad News Bears three long years later made me only fall in love with her more. Too bad she opted for that asshole with the tennis racket. I could have made little Addie real happy.

Laurie206 said...

I love this film so much. I didn't see them until the 80's - parents were scandalized at a 9 year-old girl actually smoking in one scene. How times have changed I still remember hearing the commercial on the radio, sung to the tune of "Paper Moon:"
"It's only a paper moon,
and it's from Peter Bogdanovich,
It stars Ryan O'Neal
and his little daughter Tatum O'Neal."
Fell in love with "The Last Picture Show" too, with its well-crafted and heartbreaking script, stunning production design and camerawork - what an amazing team of artisans.