The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Tura Satana dead at 72
Women of the Stage #13

Tura Satana
Tura Satana

New York Times article here

6 comments :

Daniel Poeira said...

This blog was the first place I thought of checking out when I heard Satana was dead. Thanks for the homage, she was really something, and will be forever missed.

Here is a nice article I found on her, with great pics http://cinebeats.blogsome.com/2007/06/13/tura-satana-an-american-icon/ There is even a pic of Billy Wilder fixing her clothes on the set of "Irma La Douce".

Kimberly Lindbergs said...

Hi Daniel. I'm really glad you like my old tribute to Tura. I contribute to the Gunslinger blog but Cinebeats is my personal blog. Tura will be missed!

Kyle said...

Like just about everybody from my generation (the ADHD-afflicted one), I know her best from Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!. I like to half-jokingly say it's my favorite feminist film.

One of the highlights of an otherwise humdrum film club I ran at my community college was screening said movie - laughs all around.
Or perhaps mostly my own, in reaction to the audience's bewilderment at such a bizarre production. Good times.

Luz said...

Tiene un blog extraordinario!

Fred said...

Sorry to hear this. I met her at a convention once and found her to be very friendly. It's a shame that after Pussycat! her career didn't take off (from there to Astro-Zombies, etc). She will be missed.

Iain said...

Watched Faster Pussycat Saturday night.