Musical Indulgence #12


Cosmic Slop promo film (1973)

In the very first Musical Indulgences post, Tom indicated that he wanted to keep the posting of music clips to a minimum on the Gunslinger, but sometimes a gem comes along that you can't resist sharing. First off, it wasn't until the end-of-year celebrity obit roundups that I learned that Funkadelic singer and guitarist Gary Shider had passed away on June 16, 2010, and I feel remiss in not acknowledging that sad fact sooner. What better way to do that than to watch this mind-blowing clip for Cosmic Slop, featuring the Funkadelic freak factory in full regalia in Central Park and on the Manhattan streets (check out those movie billboards). Shider, who sings lead on the recording, isn't hard to spot, he's the one in the diaper.

2 comments:

Tom Sutpen said...

Well, my only reason for writing that at the time was that I had visions of myself easily posting music clips every single day, and as there were already a number of blogs (still are) where that happens it was something I instinctively wanted to avoid.

That said, since the first Musical Indulgence was posted, I think, in 2006, and here it is five years later or thereabouts and we're only up to number 12, I can safely say that we haven't abused the privilege as it were. In other words, if you (or any other members of Team Gunslinger) want to bump up the entries to this series, you'll hear no complaints from me.

Mikel J said...

Tom: That's 10 Our Fathers & 20 Hail Mary's for your awful posting sin. Just kiddin' and thanking you for an extremely 'funky' song that had gotten by me. To express appreciation in a 'tired' kind of way... AWESOME post dude!