The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

I Voted, #3

Voter in Sumter, SC
Original Caption:

A successfully registered voter is awarded his button, Sumter, South Carolina. 1962

3 comments :

MichaelRyerson said...

I voted today. Admittedly, a small thing but I've known that since I voted for Karla Bjorkland in the
6th grade. I guess some of us noticed earlier than others how small any individual vote is and how unlikely your vote is going to swing the whole shebang. But there you go. A small thing. Spent most of junior high school trying to convince everybody how sophisticated I was by not voting. Became known as a raconteur, sage and commentator on the body politic. Sat off in left field making snide comments about how valuable my time was. It wasn't really all that valuable. I noticed my asshole got bigger. I didn't connect the two things for many years. Elections got bigger too. Now my vote meant even less but shit in Berkeley you'd better goddam vote or forget about getting laid. And you'd better be ready to talk about it, and talk and talk and...ever notice how the frigging candidates seem beholden to some vested interest or another? You know, they don't only answer to the people. Ever notice that?? Shit we ought to do something about that. But it's hard cause they've got such a great head start and they've got all that frigging money. Makes it tough. I'm pretty sure some of you guys might have thought of some of these things before but you know if we're going to find our way out of this mess we've got to start somewheres. yeah, I voted today.

Tom Block said...

This gave me a boost on a day when I can use all the boosts I can get.

graham said...

Is there a credit for this photograph?