The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

When Legends Gather #574


UPDATE - Donna in the comments nailed it: del Rio hubby Cedric Gibbons. Why, oh why, I didn't simply search on pics of the spouse and legendary art director I don't know but I didn't. Thanks Donna for making plain what was staring me right in the face the whole time.

Original Post: Well two legends at least but maybe three, that's up to the famously astute Gunslinger readership. This is an archived photo I got last year that had no info attached. It's easy enough to see that we have Dolores del Rio and Fritz Lang listening to, or at the very least, politely pretending to listen to... someone else. I'm afraid this Gunslinger has let you down in that the third person's face simply isn't matching itself to a name. For a moment I thought maybe it was Laird Creger, then, no. So please, help a Gunslinger out. Is this person a third legend, or just a party crasher? The comments are open.

12 comments :

Timmy said...

Prince Ranier?

Greg said...

You know, that's not a bad guess. Maybe. I don't know, I just searched on him and it could be.

Anyone else have thoughts on him?

marksparky said...

He looks quite a bit like Mike Todd--- Liz Taylor's great love (and hubby # 3?) of the 50s.

Maureen said...

I thought it was Ernie Kovacs, is that the wrong era?

Greg said...

Maureen, Prince Rainier is as much the wrong era as Kovacs is so I wouldn't worry about it. In the end, he's probably just a producer or studio exec but he has that look, like he should be a celebrity, you know?

justjack said...

It's the pencil-thin mustache that does it, Greg. That, and the pocket handkerchief.

The only thing the guy is missing is the two-tone Ricky Riccardo jacket. And an autographed picture of Andy Devine.

swac said...

Definitely not Kovacs.

Basil Rathbone's brother?

Donna said...

Hard to tell fro profile, it might be Del Rio's other half, Cedric Gibbons.

Flaming Curmudgeon said...

Looks like William Bendix to me.

Greg said...

Donna, I think you got it. Christ, I didn't even think to check on Gibbons, what an idiot I am. Here's a fairly good semi-profile pic of Gibbons from the Doctor Macro site that pretty much clinches it.

Thanks Donna!

Donna said...

Greg, happy to be of assistance. I've been scanning this blog for the last week or so, fabulous stuff. Thanks for the nod, I'm honored to be of service. Keep up the great work.

swac said...

That Tarzan, always hanging out with Gibbons.