The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Treading the Boards #11


Edward G. Robinson as Pavel Fyodorovich Smerdyakov in a 1927 production of The Brothers Karamazov

6 comments :

justjack said...

Mah! See?


Mother of Mercy! Is this the end of Pavel Fyodorovich Smer-----

Dane said...

Until I saw the caption, I was sure it was Larry Storch.

Brooks said...

Everybody's favorite corrupt Egyptian... see?

Tempest said...

A great actor. And art collector.
Fondly remember in my youth watching him on TV in old movies and seeing him in Soylent Green in the theater.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Sol: There was a world, once, you punk.

Det. Thorn: Yes, so you keep telling me.

Sol: I was there. I can prove it.

Det. Thorn: I know, I know. When you were young, people were better.

Sol: Aw, nuts. People were always rotten. But the world 'was' beautiful!

Edward G. Robinson playing Sol in Soylent Green

Brooks said...

I liked him best in Double Indemnity.

STARTOONZ said...

Larceny,Inc.was my favorite of his work.