The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Seminal Image #980


The Homecoming
(Peter Hall; 1973)

5 comments :

-vt- said...

Hi, Tom, sorry for being off-topic (this is a great pic, though), but will the Scott Walker BBC series ever continue?

-vt- said...

(No, he'll be 67 next month, he's too old for that stuff). Eh, sorry.

Tom Sutpen said...

With respect to the Scott Walker BBC tapes, my dilemma is this:

The only obstacle preventing my posting the next entry is a set of introductory remarks for entry #2 that, for whatever reason, are grossly unfinished after 10 months' time. Now, I could easily post the remaining entries without any introduction . . . I in fact eventually did that with the 'Hitchcock/Truffaut' series . . . but (and please forgive me if this sounds hideously overbearing) what I have on Walker is actually somewhat decent, and if I were to post the files sans comment, I would literally have no pretext to justify showing the introductory thingmajig the light of day. So, much as I would love to post the remaining entries and have done with it, I'm constrained from doing so by my foul literary compulsions (what's more, I see no way out of it).

Alex said...

Check out Bilbo Baggins in his wicked prime.

marietta said...

the man left,"also,ich habe jetzt9 stands in den adern,wegen nicotin-abusus.Mein Lungenfachartzt meint, ich solle nochmal schön verreisen , und ich darf jetzt wieder alles essen und trinken,auch rauchen.