The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Sex Education #144


Ornella Muti

8 comments :

A said...

Oh Ornella.. saw her in 'La stanza del vescovo' (The Bishop's bedroom) -- the film was crap, she was great.

MichaelRyerson said...

I once dated a girl who smoked. Just once. I also dated a Republican once. Different girls, same outcome.

Chris Rywalt said...

I loved her in Flash Gordon. Talk about sex education -- I think she might have started puberty in half the boys in the audience.

Then she disappeared. She reappeared in Oscar, a movie I enjoyed immensely, but which apparently is despised by everyone else.

I kissed a girl who smoked once. I think licking an ashtray would've been a step up.

Tommy O'C said...

I dated a 25 year old last summer who smokes (tobacco, also). If that was licking an ashtray, you should have had it so good.

Fred said...

I don't know if I'd kick Ornella out of bed for smoking.

Who Am Us Anyway? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geoff said...

i only date girls that smoke

and i dont myself...

MichaelRyerson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.