The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Treading the Boards #3


Photos of Bela Lugosi (then Bela Lugossy) in The Passion Play, 1909.

15 comments :

Maureen said...

That is just creepy.

Christopher said...

too bad Lugosi didn't do a recording of the Bible as some other actors have..Chas.Laughton is my favorite..

swac said...

Jesus Christ Vampire Star

Greg said...

When they told him at the wedding of Cana that they were out of wine he just said, "Oh that's okay, I don't drink... wine." Ruined the whole scene.

marietta said...

..Und führe uns nicht in Versuchung,denn wir können nicht widerstehen .

Fred said...

Happy Halloween, Bela!

Gunter Weltschmerz said...

Greg's comment made me laugh out loud. I never thought I would see bela's nipples in a photo.

Christopher said...

good one Greg!

Arbogast said...

I only see one nipple. Am I looking at this wrong?

swac said...

If I ever take communion again, I'll be thinking, "Bela Lugosi's bread..."

Richard Cretan said...

"I vant you to dyrink MY blood!"

Greg said...

I only see one nipple. Am I looking at this wrong?

And it's kind of man-boobish too.

All chant in unison: "His name is Bela Lugosi."

Greg said...

"Bela Lugosi's bread..."

"Unbread, unbread, unbread..."

Short for unleavened bread of course.

Timmy said...

Mr. Lugosi is buried at the same cemetary as my parents...
And, Christopher, I have some recordings of Dick Shawn's Bible.

hcb said...

evidently made a career of playing the undead