The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Art of Cinema #417

elcondedraculap
El Conde Dracula
(Count Dracula)
(Jesus Franco; 1970)

6 comments :

Dan said...

One of my fave Klaus performances but the flick has not held up for me over the years. Great poster, though.

Kimberly Lindbergs said...

I like how they've spelled Kinski's name "Kinsky" on the poster. When I first saw it I thought it said "Klaus Kinky."

I might like the film a bit more than you, Dan. But I agree about Kinski's performance. His Renfield is fantastic!

squajo said...

I like the film a lot, surprising sice most of Franco's work is junk.

Christopher said...

Klaus!baby!..We can't film it in a real Asylum.I'm afraid they'd want to keep you..

Robert Fiore said...

Looking at these pictures of Kinski I couldn't help but be reminded of the Olsen & Johnson line, "What would you charge to haunt a house?" Then I took a closer look at this and I think, "Ask Jesus Franco, he knows."

Fred said...

I wonder what market this was for (I'm guessing Spain) since Kinski got second billing ahead of Herbert Lom. Interesting since this was before his breakout performances with Herzog.