The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Before and After #193: Jean Shrimpton

Before


After

9 comments :

josephine said...

interesting what some hair and makeup can do for a person

James Walsh said...

I have never seen this photo of the younger Jean Shrimpton before. You can certainly see the beauty in the face even at that young age. I think she was even more attractive then than she was later but then I fell in love with a girl like this at 17 so I must be biased. She broke Terence Stamp's heart. She would certainly break mine and I am no Terence Stamp. Which makes me think: I don't believe I have ever seen a photo of Terence Stamp on your blog but I could be mistaken.
These people were in the orbit of the Beatles in the sixties. I met the Beatles in '63 before they were really huge. Four lads like the ones who live next door.
This is my favorite blog and I hope you never stop digging up these great photos.

Marshall-Stacks said...

Miss Shrimpton and David Bailey possibly qualify for your They Were Collaborators series, as they were the first Swinging London-era symbiotic partnership.

James Walsh said...

I just did a search of your site and saw a great photo of Terence Stamp and Sammy Davis Jr. An unlikely pair but a great shot.

Sandman said...

This site is amazing. I am a follower now (sounds kinda cult-y, but you know what I mean). Keep it up.

Gerard Saylor said...

Great comparison photos.

Robert Fiore said...

Why, Jean, without your clothes . . . you're beautiful!

estiv said...

The difference between the two is just -- wow.

I see now that my biggest mistake in life was not finding the proper stylist.

Tim Lucas said...

I never would have guessed she was airbrushed from the neck down.