The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Welcome to Show Business! #23


Way Out West
(Mae West)
(Tower Records; 1966)

16 comments :

Geoff said...

love the mop top boy toys she's got

Testify said...

I want this record! WANT, WANT WANT!!!

swac said...

It's a classic. You should hear her version of Light My Fire.

Christopher said...

I remember her version of Light My Fire was right up there with The Doors and Jose Feliciano back in the day..but I can't honestly say if I've ever heard it!!I'd like to check out some of these tunes....lol ..Day Tripper..

swac said...

Hmm...maybe a posting is in order...

The Demarest said...

Say, is that The Wonders backing her up?

Tommy O'C said...

Say, is that The Wonders backing her up?That's the O-ne-ders!

The Demarest said...

Sure that's not Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters?

Inquiring Camera Girl said...

I wonder if she could breathe alright in that dress. I'm feeling a little faint just looking at her.

Tom Sutpen said...

Geoff:

The mop top boys on the cover were undoubtedly hired just for that, and nothing else. The music on the album was, I would guess, handles by session players (God knows there had to be professionals involved with that record at some point).

Stephen:

Post it if y'got it. It's no 'Criswell Predicts', but it's got charm nonetheless.

swac said...

Criswell Predicts is a classic.

I just realized I don't have this particular Mae West LP, I have a later one on MGM titled Great Balls of Fire (1972) produced by Ian Whitcomb, with music by "the Hot Rockers" and vocals by the Mike Curb Congregation. Besides the title track and Light My Fire, she also performs Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On, Rock Around the Clock and something called How Miss West Won World Peace (written by Whitcomb). Clearly I need to give this another listen.

swac said...

Supposedly, the backing band on Way Out West is "Somebody's Chyldren" (sic).

From the liner notes:
"In this album, Mae rocks and rolls to an especially selected repertoire of the latest rock'n'roll hits, backed by the dynamic young group Somebody's Chyldren. Her voice is torrid. Her beat is sensational. Her rhythm is like no other rhythm in the business. When she sings these emotional lyrics, they take on deep and feelingful meaning. It's as though Mae was made for rock'n'roll, and rock'n'roll made for Mae."

philo said...

Testify, ask and you shall receive.
Enjoy.
Mae West-Way out West

http://www.divshare.com/download/7243502-1a0

swac said...

Thanks Philo!

Richard Gibson said...

Testify ~ I *think* this was re-released on a budget MGM label here in England. You used to see this, not often but it would crop up. My friend had a copy from a car boot and it was very good, as I recall.

Testify said...

I've only just seen these posts so belated thanx to y'all.