The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Sex Education #128


Grace Kelly

14 comments :

notanotherblog said...

Classic.

Booksteve said...

With no offense meant to Joan Blondell, I'm on record as as saying that Grace is the most beautiful woman ever to be on the silver screen.

Vanessa said...

Soo gorgeous!

mister muleboy said...

I am in Booksteve's camp.

Grace Kelly is my Number One Seed.

I'll be the first to confess to primal responses to some screen actresses, and those responses don't always match my aesthetic judgments or intellectual notions of beauty.

Grace Kelly has every meter pegged on my machines . . . .

It's fitting that she's in
Sex Education," not "classic Stars of the Silver Screen."

Hubba hubba

Flickhead said...

Props to Grace, but Ava Gardner may be the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in movies. Mogambo makes my head explode: Grace AND Ava together!

Christopher said...

The most elegant of Ladys to ever drop in on a fella hold up in his shabby Digs, spying on his neighbors.

Michael said...

I'll throw in a vote for Ingrid Bergman as the all-time great screen beauty and one of the most beautiful women who ever graced this planet. When she walks into Rick's for the first time, it almost hurts just to look at her.

Grace Kelly is without a doubt a timeless, classic beauty, but that blueblooded Eastern American accent drove me nuts. I could still watch Rear Window or To Catch A Thief all day long, though.

Tommy O'C said...

They had faces then.

-vt- said...

"the most beautiful woman ever to be on the silver screen"? Greta Garbo, anyone? :)

Grace comes in second, though. A few days ago I rewatched High Noon, for that matter, and she's really, erm, graceful as the innocent quaker girl.

...and can't help but I must mention the young Joan Crawford.

Christopher said...

I'm not the biggest "Blond" fan..but I make exceptions for Mz Kelly..especially where Hitch is involved..

Chris said...

totally agree with Booksteve although
I have a soft spot for Audrey Hepburn
as well!!

ooh, Ava Gardner.. she was really something
else.. she broke Sinatra's heart ya know.

how about Lana Turner while we're at it?

they damn sure stopped making beautiful
women like they used to!!

Vanwall said...

I'm a Brooksie guy - she's the one for me.

Flynn D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommy O'C said...

I've never seen the fascination with Garbo the actress/star. But she was beautiful. All great choices on here--Ava, Lana (of course), Audrey, Ingrid, Joan Blondell, Grace. Also, Gene Tierney, Rita Hayworth, Marilyn (but we all knew that), the young, pre-flab Liz Taylor, Gina Lollobrigida, Sophia Loren, Claudia Cardinale, Jean Simmons, and Kim Novak.