The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Art of Cinema #378


Caprice
(Frank Tashlin; 1967)

3 comments :

swac said...

There were a number of poster designs for this one, but I've always been partial to half-sheets. Kind of a shame they did away with all the different poster formats, sometimes the half-sheets and inserts were more interesting than the regular one-sheet, which is pretty much all we have left today.

Flickhead said...

At the age of ten and a hardcore Bond junkie, I went to see this the weekend it opened. Too young to recognize the bizarre pairing of Doris with Richard (it's a nightmare variation on "Summer of '42"), I got into the ski chase and... wasn't there an Asian femme fatale (not named on the poster)?

Like Stephen, I miss the different shapes and sizes of posters. My favorites were the long, vertical ones -- inserts? But in '67 I had the Caprice one-sheet tacked on my wall.

I tried watching this a few years ago for the first time since '67. Excuse my poor Italian, but, oofah!

Another movie from that era I'd love to see again: Russell Rouse's Caper of the Golden Bulls.

Meanwhile, does this post tie in to some Tashlin renaissance going on? I seem to remember reading about him recently.

Christopher said...

Saw this as a little kid about the time it came out at the American Club overseas..It was a big hit with the kiddies... and everyone else as far as I could tell?!.but apparently it hasn't held up too well!..heh heh