Adventures in the National Pastime #11

Today's Adventure

Original Caption:

Brooklyn -- Crooner Eddie Fisher receives an award from Brooklyn Dodger Captain Pee Wee Reese "for his contribution to the youth of America and his keen interest in baseball," in a ceremony at Ebbets Field where the Dodgers met Pittsburgh in a night game May 31. The award was from the Brooklyn baseball club. In the background are five members of the 'Dodger Coettes': Evelyn LeViness; Joan Morales; Maryann Marino; Marilyn Morales and Phyllis Geller. (1955)

3 comments:

Celsius1414 said...

The Dodgers lost that night, as you can see in the boxscore:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1955/B05310BRO1955.htm

However, 1955 wound up being an awesome year for the boys in blue. :)

skyline said...

Heh.

That's mom (evelyn) on the far left (only time she's ever been on the far left of anything in her life. ba-dum-bum).

I just discovered this photo on another website about twenty minutes ago. She's gonna be psyched when I tell her about this.

BrooklynYankee said...

Recently came across this page. R.I.P Eddie. I enjoyed listening to him sing during the early '50s.

The young ladies in the photo seem to be having a good time. I knew Evelyn who I remember as an attractive and talented avid Dodger fan. Since I was a Yankee fan, we sometimes discussed the merits of the two teams. Paradoxically, in my "yoot" I enjoyed attending Dodger games at Ebbets Field courtesy of the Police Athletic League. I was glad (kinda) when "dem bums" took the 1955 World Series (I felt better after the 1956 Series). I was sationed in California at the time and was amazed when the Dodgers later pulled up stakes and moved to L.A.

My favorite Dodger was Gil Hodges. Rededicating the Marine Parkway Bridge in his memory was a fitting tribute. Now it's time for Cooperstown.