The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Abandoned Places #9


La Vereda Village
(Guadalajara, Spain)

7 comments :

Marshall P. Smith said...

Another in a GREAT series!

Richard Gibson said...

Reminds me of Granadilla in Extremadura. A place that Almodovar used to film Atame! (Tie me up, Tie me down).

The village was abandoned to make way for a resevoir. I visited there in 2006, it was excellent.

Map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=granadilla,+spain&sll=40.014994,-6.168823&sspn=0.635269,1.351318&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&ll=40.233936,-6.086769&spn=0.164597,0.207367&z=12&iwloc=addr

Richard Gibson said...

Oh, I found my photos from that trip and my visit to that village. In case anyone is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardjgibson/sets/72157604288372925/

Marshall P. Smith said...

Great links!

Thanks

Cinebeats said...

Lovely pics, Richard! I'd like to visit Spain myself someday. My man always raves about the food there.

swac said...

They say Spain is pretty, but I've never been.

Ines Pardo Rivas said...

Que bella es España! :D