The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Abandoned Places #1


The Pod City
(San Zhi, Taiwan)
(photo by Cypherone)

15 comments :

ripley said...

beautiful. nice thought for a new stream. bring it.

Cinebeats said...

If I had the extra money and resources I'd pack up and move to Taiwan for a month or two just to shoot a movie there.

I'd probably never want to leave though.

R.H. said...

Abandoned? Why for goodness sake?

GMM... said...

Here are many more photos and some background:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cypherone/sets/72157600694356865/

I too am terribly excited about the new series!

Ulick said...

After some serious on site accidents there were stories of the place being haunted. some say this is why the developers pulled out but i think they just ran out of money.

the area is being re-developed and unfortunately the pods have all been pulled down.

i think some local horror films were shot here, i know the site was used in a few soaps.

Sally J. said...

Dear ICPWG Editors:

Thank you for bringing so much loveliness into my online world. I'm so excited about the new Abandoned Places category that I had to leave a comment. Also...have you been peeking at my StumbleUpon favorites? Uncanny.

Inukshuk said...

What about this?

http://www.christian-statham.me.uk/colourschool/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/expo_67.jpg

Still in Montréal...

Hé!

Cinebeats said...

I'm glad you're all enjoying the new series!

Alan David Doane said...

New Caprica Chic.

swac said...

Is the Expo 67 Habitat really abandoned? I thought people actually lived there.

I was there in '67...mind you, I was still in embryo stage at the time.

Richard Gibson said...

Wow.
I don't know if I have ever seen anything quite like that.

Inukshuk said...

Oups, it's my mistake.

I thought the topic was about unusual urban architecture...

swac said...

Unusual yes, but also abandoned.

But any excuse to look at Expo '67 stuff is a good one! No need to apologize.

I take it by your user name, Inukshuk, you are a fellow Canuck?

Inukshuk said...

A Canuck and more precisely a French Canadian... Hé!

I got a blog in my mother tongue... ;)

Joanne said...

Have the alien from outer space set up shop here?