The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Hierophants of Hip Hop #11


2 Live Crew

8 comments :

Timmy said...

CCCCCC-rap music is ANTI-music. They stink! Where is Fahrenheit 451 when we need it? the entire genre is based on being bullies, whining about not getting to play with all the other kids & bent on degrading the human experience to a level of unfounded revenge.

Testify said...

My Gran said something similar about Cliff Richard that new fangled rock n roll.



(Though I gotta say never much cared for 2Live Crew myself.)

swac said...

I'm more of a De La Soul man myself...

Max said...

Hey Timmy, tell us about how "it's just talking over jungle drums," or how about "they can't write real music, they just steal it."

Pfft.

Timmy said...

Sure, Max, glad to... They don't only demean all that is genious in REAL music, but then they have to STEAL it, by ripping it off in eveyone's face, followed by urinating on said music. Your face, included, Max. I guess that be coo wit y'all's... though, haw? So, now, why don'yt you explain unto my dense brain, what is soooooo grand about CCCC-rap muzik?
Eh?

Max said...

Timmy: I hardly want to turn the Gunslinger blog into a tiresome flamewar, so I'll simply say it's hard for me to fathom how someone can dismiss a genre varied as hip-hop with such a blinkered view of it.

That you think that all of hip-hop is "bent on degrading the human experience to a level of unfounded revenge" suggests to me that you have actually listened to very little of it, and *heard* even less.

The entire genre you dismiss include artists with styles and philosophies as varied as the Sugar Hill Gang, NWA, Public Enemy, Ghostface Killah, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest and, fortheluvvaPete, MC Frontalot. I get that *you* don't like it, fine. But that sure doesn't make it "ANTI-music," and your argument isn't helped by sweeping statements that are demonstrably untrue.

Testify: It sure didn't start with rock'n'roll, either. Back in the day some thought jazz was "merely a raucous and inarticulate shouting of hoarse-throated instruments, with each player trying to outdo his fellows, in fantastic cacophony" (Sigmund Spaeth, "Jazz is Not Music," Forum, 1928).

(And that's all I'll say.)

Testify said...

Hey Max, I'm on your side. I like hip hop (though not,particularly, 2Live Crew).

Frankly I thought all this "sampling ain't art shit" had been dealt with by Stetasonics "Talkin All That Jazz" .

My response was just satirical.

Besides my Gran was hip to Jazz, Daddio.

Rhys said...

Timmy's failure to imagine any type of beat/rhyme alignment of value does not mean such value does not exist or can not be invented. Also, I'm from Florida and I think 2Live Crew did some very interesting work. This blog continues to amaze me!