The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Annals of Crime #61


Original Caption:

Rockville -- Benjamin Slack, 18, charged with murder in the shotgun slaying of his father, Robert Elmer Slack, 45, is led to the Rockville, MD, police station following the shooting. The drink crazed youth blasted his father at close range and terrorized his family and the family of the owner of the estate on which they lived. (1955)

6 comments :

irishbill said...

I googled/wikied Benjamin Slack and the only hit was a B actor, born in 1937 in Baltimore,MD. Right age, right locality.......the actor died in 2004. Played Mr. Ermin on "The Wonder Years".......could it be?.....

rookgaroo said...

Very strange, indeed, irishbill. It's hard to believe the trivia-hounds at IMDb would let these shenanigans pass without a notation of some kind. I can't find Ben mentioned anywhere either.

Geez, I used to love knocking back a few with my old man...

Ibslackn said...

The man listed on IMDB is not the same man as the one photographed above. The man above is my father who died in 1980. The facts surrounded this case are disputed. He claimed the shooting was accidental. But he and his father did not get along and both were alcoholics.

Tom Sutpen said...

Ibslackn:

Thanks for the info, but please understand that when I post any entry such as this, I generally let the original caption (and, more crucially, the values it reflects) stand without comment; even on those relatively rare occasions when I know it to be less-than-accurate.

Believe me, we're not out to vilify anyone here.

rookgaroo said...

Ibslackn: Thanks for clearing that up. I apologize sincerely for the flippancy of my previous comment. I meant no disrespect.

Ibslackn said...

Absolutely no offense taken guys. I was trying to answer some of the open ended questions. I have to ask, though, where did you get this picture? I have seen this in a newspaper clipping, but this is like the original print! I would love to search for others.