The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Marilyn in Action #10


Marilyn promotes

(I would be remiss if I went one more entry in this series without mentioning The Adventures of Marilyn, an ongoing series at Doc 40; that lovely pasture in the blogosphere maintained by one of the great men of our time, Mick Farren. Though you may note a thematic and visual similarity between this exploration of Joe DiMaggio's ex and that one . . . and though 'Marilyn in Action' technically debuted first . . . I can freely endorse, and salute, 'Adventures' as the better series of the two. Long may it wave)

4 comments :

Testify said...

Marilyn was at one point considered for the Carroll Baker part in "Baby Doll". I think the premiere (where I assume this picture comes from) was a fundraiser for The Actors Studio.

Tom Sutpen said...

I didn't know he'd considered her for 'Baby Doll'. Everything I've read suggests that, despite their on-and-off periods of, um, mating (as this is a family blog, I'm being delicate), Kazan was never particularly eager to cast Monroe in anything.

Would have been interesting.

Mick said...

Hey Tom, you are really too kind. I can only reciprocate by saying that I find "If Charlie Parker..." visually awesome and a work of high scholarship.

Testify said...

Tom- I'm sure I read it in Carroll Bakers biog galled, um, Baby Doll but I have to concede that in Kazan's autobiography Baker was always both his and Williams' choice for the titular heroine.