The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

In the Studio #8


Randy Newman

5 comments :

Hans Gruber said...

One of the coolest guys I ever met.

anodyne Brownie said...

Davy the fat Boy
Isn he round?
Isn't he ro-o-und?
What do he weigh folks?
Can ya guess what he weighs?
You know it's only a quarter,
win a tedybear for the girlfriend or somethin for the wife - you've got to get this fatboy into your life.

It must be a good song if I haven't heard it since 1969 and I still recall the lyric.
He is masterful

and Hans I am envious you have been in His presence.

*Sails Away*

Hans Gruber said...

My brother was his assistant for a while. He has an awesome sense of humor and is a lovely guy. To know him is to love him.

swac said...

I've got most of Randy's records, but I really love Nilsson Sings Newman.

estiv said...

...but I really love Nilsson Sings Newman.

Oh man. God yes.

In my fantasy life, I record a version of "Vine Street," and like both Van Dyke Parks and Harry Nilsson it starts with a clip of an old unreleased recording of mine. Of course, if my version of "Vine Street" does not get wide release (like theirs did), the gesture is kind of pointless. But then, this is my fantasy life I'm talking about.