The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Cool Hall of Fame #155


Roger Miller

5 comments :

bill said...

My hero! A great shot of a straight shooter.

Boy, mainstream country music sure could do with someone like him nowadays.

estiv said...

Boy, mainstream country music sure could do with someone like him nowadays.

I agree, but nowadays he wouldn't get through the front door. Or even the back one.

swac said...

Nobody else could come up with a song like The Last Word in Lonesome Is Me. Genius pure and simple.

Once I interviewed Roy Clark, and asked him about his friendship with Miller. I guess they were great pals, and Clark said he had some tapes of them just playing tunes at a backyard BBQ. What I wouldn't give to hear those recordings...

la peregrina said...

Ahh, yes, the first album I ever owned was Roger Miller/ Golden Hits. I told my parents I wanted it for Christmas in 1965. Loved it. Made me wanna holla hidy hoe! :)

steves said...

"I wish I had what you had / and you had a do-whacka do whacka do"

"roses are red / violets are purple / sugar is sweet / so's maple syrple."

dang me if that man didn't have as much poetic fluidity as the honorous Little Richard Penniman!