The 12 Discs of Christmas 2008 #5


Simon & Garfunkel, The Star Carol
Theodore Bikel & the Pennywhistlers - Sweetest Dreams Be Thine
(A Very Merry Christmas, Volume 1; Columbia Special Products; 1967)

Today in the spirit of sharity, it's a double shot from A Very Merry Christmas, Volume 1, a promotional item that was only available via Grants Department Stores. While most of the artists contained within are usual suspects like Patti Page, Johnny Mathis and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, I thought I'd pass along its two most unusual tracks: a traditional carol sung by Simon & Garfunkel which until just recently was only available on this compilation, and a ballad by actor, folk singer and rooftop fiddler Theodore Bikel.

3 comments:

Matthew Birt said...

Do you have any information on the dates of these two recordings?

I'm really enjoying this. Thanks for putting this together.

blankemon said...

Man, I miss those promo Christmas albums. My folks had some great ones from gas stations and the like. I remember asking my mom, "Who's Vicki Carr?"

swac said...

I just read Star Carol was recorded in 1967, the Theodore Bikel track is off his 1967 album Songs of the Earth.