The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Annals of Crime #32


Original Caption:

Vallejo -- A high school teacher in Salinas, Donald G. Harden, and his wife cracked a code of a man threatening mass murder, a code which the Navy and FBI experts have failed to break in a week of effort. Ciphers were contained in a letter sent to three newspapers in which the author claimed to have committed three recent lovers lane murders. The code, a portion which is shown with Haden's version, reads: "I like killing people because it is so much fun it is more fun than killing wild game in the forest . . . when I die I will be reborn in paradise and all I have killed will become my slaves. I will not give my name because you will try to slow down or stop my collecting of slaves." (1969)

2 comments :

swac said...

I don't keep a lot of the promotional bumf that comes my way from the movie companies (although that Lemony Snicket Magic 8 Ball was tempting) but when Paramount was promoting the Zodiac movie they sent out exact reproductions of some of the letters. For some reason I felt compelled to hang onto that one. Go figure.

Vanwall said...

Uhhh...If you hang on to anything concerning Herman W. Mudgett, remind to stay on the left coast.