The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Art of American Fantasy #16

4 comments :

Vanwall said...

Actually, no fantasy - Silly Putty was part and parcel of my reality for years - hell, I think I've still got some of my boys' SP around here somewhere.

Tom Sutpen said...

I debated posting that one, since it's not as outlandish as a lot of Comic Book ads of its vintage. But I figured the ad copy was extravagant enough in its promises that it qualified.

swac said...

Tom, it was totally worth posting.

Vanwall said...

Oh, most definitely! I read this ad prolly a few hundred times in a few hundred comics before I got some Silly Putty, so it became like a visual mantra - if I read it enough, it would happen. It promptly became a dirty shade of pink from all the peculiar Putty offset printing I did in just a day or so. As an aside, I've always felt that the distorted boy and girl are iconic - his look is deliciously come hither, with his strangely shaped torso and legs like a slinky-boy toy, while the little girl is wonderfully obtuse. They inhabit my fantasy world to a degree, like little castaway offspring of Befuddle Hall.