Miniseries #7:
Movie Directors and the Means of Production

#1

Nicholas Ray

#2

Robert Aldrich

#3

Sergio Leone

#4

Howard Hawks

#5

Kenneth Anger

#6

Julien Duvivier

#7

Jacques Tati

#8

Roger Corman

#9

François Truffaut

#10

Werner Herzog

#11

Vincente Minnelli

#12

Theo Angelopoulos

#13

Stanley Kubrick

#14

Satyajit Ray

#15

Rainer Werner Fassbinder

#16

Samuel Fuller

#17

Pier Paolo Pasolini

#18

Peter Bogdanovich

#19

Melvin Van Peebles

#20

Roberto Rossellini

#21

Otto Preminger

#22

Luis Buñuel

#23

Maurice Pialat

#24

Leni Riefenstahl

#25

Buster Keaton

#26

Agnes Varda

#27

John Huston

#28

Ida Lupino

#29

D.W. Griffith

#30

Allan Dwan

#31

Busby Berkeley

#32

Francis Ford Coppola

#33

Claude Chabrol

#34

Jerry Lewis

#35

Alfred Hitchcock

#36

Federico Fellini

#37

William Wyler

#38

Clarence Brown

#39

Jean-Luc Godard

#40

Clint Eastwood

#41

John Cassavetes

#42

David Lean

#43

Sam Peckinpah

#44

Roman Polanski

#45

Orson Welles

#46

Luchino Visconti

#47

Blake Edwards

#48

Andy Warhol

#49

Cecil B. DeMille

#50

Peter Watkins

18 comments:

mike said...

wow... just one word -

wow.

H. P. L. said...

WOW!!! Greatest series so far, Tom! I was happy to find the great Ida in there!!!

Pietro

SomeNYGuy said...

Spectacular! Magnificent! Inspiring! BRAVO!!!

Now is it just me, or does it look like Corman is shooting in a public restroom?

Pondering Pig said...

Incredible! The best yet! Congratulations on an A+, essential compilation! And three exclamation points in one comment must mean I'm excited.

Jesse said...

This just made my year (so far). Amazing.

Tom Sutpen said...

Holy mackerel. Only thing I can say is thanks.

You might not believe it, but when I was putting this together yesterday I was thinking this was going to be the lamest Miniseries entry to date. Glad to know at least a few think otherwise!

Vanwall said...

WOW! Tom, this is by far the most amazing collection of shots I've ever seen - it's one of the best things ever on the 'Net AFAIC, and this what makes your site so much fun to visit. I am in awe.

μπερζέρα στο πατάρι said...

cool collection and rare,thanks Eleni T.

Peter L. Winkler said...

The photo of Jerry Lewis made me chuckle. He found a rig big enough to match his ego.

swac said...

I thought every Roger Corman film was shot in a public restroom?

layne said...

One of my favorite posts from one of my favorite blogs! Great job, Tom!

Mazur said...

Fantastic post. You even included both Rays!

I especially loved the Kenneth Anger shot. Is the Fassbinder pic from the production of Fox and his Friends?

Jeremy said...

Fantastic. And doubly so to find Peter Watkins included.

Stevie said...

brilliant!

Tom Sutpen said...

Thankye and thankye again.

I thought the Fassbinder photo was from Fox, but a quick check reveals it to have been taken on the set of Berlin Alexanderplatz

So much for my eyesight.

erik hogstrom said...

Those were so great! Thanks for posting all of those photos.

LEE HILL said...

Now dig this...wonderful stuff!

Tom Sutpen said...

Muchas gracias, Senor Hill!

I is extremely chuffed to hear you liked it.