The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

MIniseries #1:
American Prom Night

#1


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6


#7


#8


#9


#10


#11


#12


#13


#14


#15

5 comments :

Vanwall said...

Ah, the halcyon days of youth, where the right crowd, a nice blue serge suit, and a prom dress TDF could add up to the apotheosis of many a teenager's life.

Mr DeBakey said...

Too much!

Richard Gibson said...

Excellent selection of photographs. I enjoyed it. Something every British person knows about even though we don't have that here as such.

Tom Sutpen said...

It's one apotheosis I missed. Actually, 'deliberately avoided' is more like it. I was in the full flower of anti-bourgeoisie, Rebel-Without-a-Pity adolescence (a true state of mind if ever one were charted), and you couldn't have paid me to get-up in one of those powder-blue tuxes and go to my Senior Prom (a posture that was immeasurably assisted by the fact that I was sans-girlfriend at the time).

Looking back, do I regret it?

Sometimes.

Vanwall said...

Tom, I plead the same. I was writing about this for my blog last month, but put it aside due to family matters, so I guess I'll have to finish. It was a timely post.