The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Where the Boys Are #4


Gregory Peck (1949)

6 comments :

Vanwall said...

I worked with his sister Peach's daughter for a long time, and heard a lot of anecdotes about Gregory Peck - he was a helluva guy. Always, and forever, one of my faves. I missed my chance to whistle that tune from "Yellow Sky" when I met him - I was awestruck.

Richard Gibson said...

That's a great picture.

Wow, you met him?!

swac said...

I have an autographed pic on my wall...I didn't get the autograph, it was a gift, but still nice to have.

Cinebeats said...

Peck is one of my favorite actors and also one of the best looking guys who ever made movies. How wonderful that you got to meet him vanwell! I would have been star struck myself.

This pic is a personal favorite. I would love to hop in that shower with Gregory Peck!

Vanwall said...

He was in town and his niece kindly arranged a handshake and a nod. His voice in movies was a salient feature for me - nobody sounded like Greg Peck - and like Jimmy Stewart, made some of my favorite westerns, with performances far and above in worth than any of Duke's, to say nothing of Peck's ability to star in any genre.

Eva said...

What a great photograph. I love him. Immediately I felt this swelling inside when I saw this image. No one is like Peck, no one.