The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Seminal Image #743


Robinson Crusoe on Mars
(Byron Haskin; 1964)

9 comments :

H. P. L. said...

I think I saw this many many years ago... and had completely forgotten about until I saw this image! Now I'll spend the rest of the day wondering if I have it in my VHS archive...

Pietro

swac said...

Unlikely...unless you taped it off TV or the old Criterion laserdisc. This one was rare as all get out for years.

shahn said...

i had the same reaction! there must be another copy floating around.

Vanwall said...

I heard it's set for a big Crierion DVD release. I loved this film.

Richard Gibson said...

Guys - great to have so many comments on this - I, like several of you saw it years and years ago - it was a BBC2 Sci-fi staple here in England up until maybe the early to mid 80's and then it just never got shown.

It's out on Criterion now and worth every penny, great transfer and some nice extras. I picked up my copy last week.

Brent McKee said...

A much better movie than you'd give it credit for given the name.

Stacia said...

I had no idea this was out on DVD - I thought it was still only available on the old laserdisk. Want. Covet.

H. P. L. said...

Yes, I meant TAPED vhs... my movie archive is still 80% taped late night TV... I'm an analog kid all right! ;-) I'll have to chek it out, can't believe I erased it...

Pietro

swac said...

It really must be seen in widescreen. That old Criterion laserdisc blew my socks off. It wasn't available for long (it was one of their last lasers), so the new DVD is welcome news.