The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Men of the West #12


Tim Holt

5 comments :

Vanwall said...

Say what you will about the King of B Westerns - and he was a natural in the saddle - Holt somehow ended up in "Stagecoach", My Darling Clementine", "Back Street", excellent films all, and most importantly, his proofs of greatness as George in "The Magnificent Ambersons" and Curtin in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madres" - two of the most un-alike parts as ever was. I could watch those two forever, and still be fascinated.

Cinebeats said...

I love Tim Holt and totally agree with you vanwell. I never get tired of watching him and when he was good, he was very, very good.

Vanwall said...

Yes'm, he was vastly under-rated, IMHO. When I was a kid, 'B' westerns ruled the syndicated local TV, and I saw a fair amount of his steady little money-makers, none of which stuck except for his voice and face. One day a few years later I'm watching "The Magnificent Ambersons" for the first time, and I hear his voice coming out of some kid in a tux, and it was eerie - I thought it was a voice-over for a second until I recognized Holt from his westerns. I was amazed how un-cowboy he was, and that's the real measure of his abilities - he could act absolutely convincingly in a difficult role that was so unlike his average films. I doubt if they show any of his westerns, even on the Western Channel - I'd take a year's worth of forced watching of his movies over one Autry flick.

Booksteve said...

My local channel picked up a B western package in the late seventies that featured only George O'Brien, the 3 Mesquiteers and tons of Tim Holt pix! Needless to say, to this day, much as I love Roy and Gene, I'm still partial to Holt. I have seen a few of his on cable in recent years. Don't ask me what though as they really are pretty interchangable.

hpopnecker said...

Tim Holt's westerns occasionally pop up on Turner Classic Movies.