The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Notice of Impending Absence

For those of you who may be wondering about the relative dearth of new posts from this third of the Charlie Parker triumvirate, I can only plead an unexpectedly prolonged spate of ill health and give notice that I probably won't be posting anything for at least the next few days. Rest assured, however, that my confederates, Mr. Cooke and Mr. Gibson, will no doubt supercede whatever I might have done had I not been seeing to my physical well-being (or lack thereof).

Thanks

An entirely personal note to Kimberly and/or Bart: I'm sorry I haven't gotten to our outstanding bidness; truly. When I'm back on form I'll move forward on both fronts.

8 comments :

Lex10 said...

I, on the other hand, have no excuse- just a mix of ennui & self-loathing.
GWS, Tom.

-K- said...

I just stumbled onto this site, don't ask me how, but its a blast. Bet well soon.

Vanwall said...

Get well soon, Tom!

erik hogstrom said...

Get well soon! You folks do a wonderful job with this blog!

layne said...

Thanks for all the great work you've done here, get well soon!

Joe Thompson said...

Tom: Take good care of yourself and get well soon. If it's the kind of thing drinking lots of liquids helps, drink lots of liquids.

Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)

Cinebeats said...

No worries Tom! I hope you feel better soon.

Take care!

LDP said...

Get well soon.

This blog is fantastic.