The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

(Major) Housekeeping Matter #23:
Welcome, Kimberly Lindbergs!


I've been wanting to write this for weeks, since the idea first came to me, and now I can. I have to confess I'm immensely pleased . . . as pleased as at any point during the almost three-year life of this blog . . . to welcome Kimberly Lindbergs as our fourth official contributor here at If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger . . . . Kimberly, as many of you know, is author of the exceptional blog Cinebeats: Confessions of a Cinephile; more crucially for this endeavour, she has a remarkable eye for images (something fully attested to by her contributions to our week-long Guest Contributor fiesta last month). But perhaps most important of all, she gets what we're doing here. I'm confident I'm speaking for my co-conspirators in saying that this is something we can't value highly enough 'round these parts.

So please join us . . . and the 16th President of the United States here pictured . . . in raising a toast to our newest member!

A somewhat unrelated side-note in closing: I'd like to thank all of you who wished me your best, both publicly and privately, during my recent stretch of infirmity. Most of all I want to thank Senor Cooke and Senor Gibson for holding up the standard, as it were, the last ten days. In a few weeks I'll have to take another (hopefully shorter) leave of absence, but I have every expectation that Stephen, Richard and (now) Kimberly will fill in every bit as admirably.

Damn, but this is a good turn of events!

3 comments :

Cinebeats said...

Thanks for the welcome boys!

Vanwall said...

Glad to have you aboard! Luv yer blog!

mister muleboy said...

Congratulations on adding to "the team." I don't pay any attention to the name of the contributor [until I go back just to revel in certain choices]; you guys all seamlessly weave a tone and look that is unique.

It will be just that much better to have another contributor [who helped nail it during Tom's absence].


You remain The Greatest Blog Of All TiYEMS!!!

mister muleboy
www.mouthofthemule.com