The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Art of American Amusement #2


Carousel
(Glen Echo Park, Maryland)
(1921)

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

My mom used to tell me about how she would go to Glen Echo park when she was a little girl.She and friends would ride the carousel and go into the ballroom.I've been to Glen Echo and I now understand it's been renovated and turned into a State Park.

Vanwall said...

I love carousels - I'm glad there's a preservationist wave now, and even brand-new ones - the Wild Animal Park in San Diego added one, and it was quite a surprise to see it. Not as elegant as the old ones, as the tube steel framing is pretty beefy. My nephew would ride all day if we let him. ;-)

BCNU

Anonymous said...

I love that carousel. When I was a young teen, in the 1970's, my older brothers and sister and I all worked as volunteers for the Park Service as they started turning Glen Echo into an arts park. I ran he information desk, my sister ran the crafts/gift shop, and my older brothers ran that carousel.