Musical Indulgence #3

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(My Heart Is) Closed for the Season
Bettye Swann; recorded sometime between 1968-1970


(My Heart Is) Closed For The Season explores those familiar themes we all come to expect in popular song, however what makes this song stand out for me are three elements all summed midway through when Bettye sings “Can’t you get it through your head? You’re no longer irresistible, irritating instead…”, first it’s her voice, the melancholy and less upbeat that then the rest of the tracks on this album, the sadness is like all of the great singers tangible. Secondly; the lyric which is itself good but more interesting is her phrasing. For me it is very surprising that she doesn’t take a break between “irresistible” and “irritating”. Lastly we have the driving chimes and the horn section. I have no idea what kind of instrument is making the chiming sound but when it all comes together it sounds like perfection to me. Enjoy, this, today’s musical indulgence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Nice song. I'd never heard of this singer, but I've placed an order with amazon immediately.

The "chimes" sound like a vibraphone where they've turned of the motor that usually gives it that shimmering effect. That's a pretty creative use of vibes.

My compliments on this choice of indulgence.