The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Art of American Fantasy #3

5 comments :

Jeff Duncanson said...

In the words of Robbie Robertson, "This is sure stirrin' up some ghosts for me."

Tom, I really am enjoying this feature. I don't know how many times I rushed home with my new Fantastic Four or Captain America, and came across this ad.

Anonymous said...

I DID order it. Cost around forty dollars in 1968. I was 14 or 15. It was pretty good. I went from a 38 to a 33 inch waist. He had you use a form of isonetics(?) (dynamic tension) and things you had in your house to exercise with.

swac said...

I just remembered someone once gave me a bunch of old Charles Atlas pamphlets. Maybe I should post stuff from them...

Jeff Duncanson said...

Now, why would someone give those to you, Stephen? Were you getting sand kicked in your face too often?? ;)

swac said...

No, but I was breathing in a lot of dust from the massive housecleaning that was going on at the time.