The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Collect 'Em All #9


Judy Garland
No. 13 in a series of 48 by Gallaher Tobacco, Virginia House, London & Belfast
"I've always liked unusual things, and that's why my part in 'The Wizard of Oz' is my favourite so far. It's a fantasy for 'children of all ages from nine to ninety' as they say--and there are few people who aren't children when it comes to something like this. I have an opportunity for singing too, and the picture is in Technicolor. But I'm quite young yet, so I've time to have plenty more favourite parts!"

3 comments :

SomeNYGuy said...

Using a minor to shill for cigarettes?!?!?

That's my America!

Richard Gibson said...

Stephen - did you ever hear a track called 'My Judy Garland Life' ? by a band Gretschen Hofner?

SomeNYGuy - good point but the Tabacco company, I'm sure was British as I have some of these cards myself.

Stephen - perhaps you know did Gallaher export to Canada and US?

swac said...

Gallaher owns (or used to own) Peter Jackson Cigarettes, also home to the du Maurier brand, which are both popular in Canada. In fact, I work directly across the street from the du Maurier Theatre here in Halifax. At some point they also bought Benson & Hedges, but I believe the North American rights to that brand belong to another company. An original Gallaher brand would be Senior Service, which might have been available in Canada in the '40s and '50s, but not in my lifetime.

As for a minor hawking cigarettes, don't forget those old Flintstones ads for Winstons!