The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

When Legends Gather #117


B-movie legends Kevin McCarthy and Dick Miller meet on the set of The Trail of the Screaming Forehead, courtesy of Sony Pictures' Mike Schlesinger (the man in the middle).

Amazingly, according to Mike, these two icons had never shared a dialogue scene prior to appearing in this soon-to-be released horror film homage from the team behind The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (although they have been featured separately in films like Pirahna, Twilight Zone: The Movie The Howing, Innerspace and Matinee).

All that's missing is Paul "Kelton the Cop" Marco, who I'm sad to learn passed away two weeks ago.

7 comments :

D said...

I would go with the term survivor rather than legend or icon.

Ian W. Hill said...

They're definitely in the same scene in Mant!, the parody contained within Joe Dante's Matinee. I thought McCarthy (General Ankrum) gave Miller (soldier with bag of sugar) an order, but maybe they were just standing there next to each other.

So, maybe first dialogue between them.

swac said...

Hmmm....I was wondering about Matinee, but I couldn't remember if they were both in the parody within the film or not, I haven't seen it since it first came out.

I remember the laserdisc included all the filmed Mant! scenes separately, but I don't know if the current DVD does or not.

cadavra said...

They do share a scene in MANT!, but Dick is just an extra with no lines and Kevin is speaking to someone else. In fact, I'm not sure they even look at each other. That's why I was specific when I said it's their first dialogue scene together.

Sam said...

I saw "Cadavra" along with a friend of mine a few months back and had a great laugh recalling those B movies. I hope that the latest film if just as good.

By the way, I own a copy of "Matinee" and try to watch it at least once a year. It one of my favorite films and I highly recomend it if you can find it on DVD.

swac said...

Sam, does the DVD have the Mant! scenes as a bonus?

cadavra said...

No, it doesn't. One more reason why it's so important to hang on to them laserdiscs.