The Women #11


Bebe Daniels
from The New Movie Album: An Autographed Who's Who of the Screen (1931)
"I was born in Dallas, Texas, of theatrical parents. My father, Melville Daniels, was the manager of the theatre of which my mother, Phyllis Griffin was the leading lady. I was playing with Harold Lloyd in the Hal Roach comedies when Cecil de Mille gave me my first dramatic role in motion pictures: a featured part in 'Male and Female.' This was followed by leading roles in 'Why Change Your Wife,' 'Everywoman,' opposite the late Wallace Reid in 'Sick a-Bed,' 'Dancin' Fool' and 'Nice People,' and opposite Rudolph Valentino in 'Mons. Beaucaire.' Paramount then elevated me to stardom.

"Not long after this, talking pictures came into vogue and as my contract was about to expire, I determined to do the thing I had always wanted to do--develop my voice. Mr. William LeBaron, whom I had known at Paramount, gave me a test and as a result signed me to a long term contract for RKO Radio Pictures. Since then I have been starred in 'Rio Rita,' 'Love Comes Along,' 'Lawful Larceny' and other productions. As to nationality, I am of Spanish and Welsh extraction on my mother's side and Scotch and French on my father's. On the 14th of June last year I was married to Ben Lyons."

No comments: