The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Women #10


Joan Crawford
(from The New Movie Album: An Autographed Who's Who of the Screen, 1931)
"Born in San Antonio, Texas, and educated in a finishing school in Kansas City, I embarked upon my career in 1924, obtaining a start as a dancer in a musical show. From there I went to New York to dance at the Winter Garden. There I was discovered by Harry Rapf. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer producer, who offered me an opportunity to try my luck in pictures. I was known on the stage as Lucile Le Sueur, and I was christened Joan Crawford in a motion picture magazine name contest. My first picture was Pretty Ladies in which I played an extra part. I was given a role in Old Clothes, a Jackie Coogan film, and as a result of that cast in a leading part in Our Dancing Daughters. This later was followed by Our Modern Maidens, in which I won stardom. The talkie companion to these two earlier films, Our Blushing Brides, established even great box-office results and critical praise. My first two talking pictures were Untamed and Montana Moon, and my latest is Paid, in which I play my first straight dramatic role. I am five feet, four inches tall, weight 120 pounds and have dark hair and blue-brown eyes. I was born in 1908 and am married to Douglas Fairbanks Jr."

4 comments :

swac said...

The other entries in this series show at least a little personality in their biographical sketches, this one definitely feels like it was penned by a studio flack. Unsurprisingly.

Richard Gibson said...

Nice post, also check out Self Styled Siren's recent post on Crawford:

http://selfstyledsiren.blogspot.com/2006/03/in-custody-joan-crawford.html

Vanwall said...

Somehow, she comes across to me as a studio product thru & thru - very artificial, right down to her shoulder pads.

ElizRuthMalmberg said...

Crawford's crash diet of choice? Black coffee, Saltines and mustard.
(From her autobiography) "Blue-brown eyes"? I have never seen a close-up of Crawford's eyes, but have never seen blue-brown before.

I so enjoy your blogs...thank you for the wonderful photos and info.