The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Faces From the Past #11


Robert, Michael, John and Denise Cooke (and friend)

Sorry for my absence from these environs for the past couple of weeks, I was away in Montreal and then off to see Sigur Ros in Portland, ME (amazing show, if you ever get the chance to see them, GO...I swear, I was thinking "This must be what it was like to see Velvet Underground back in the day...").

When I returned, I learned my Uncle Mike (seen above in cowboy gear in Yarmouth, N.S. in the early '50s) had been admitted to hospital with pneumonia while battling lung cancer. He's my last uncle on my father Robert's side (John died over a decade ago) and I've always been extremely fond of him, and it was heartbreaking to see him go down like that. Needless to say, it's been an emotional couple of weeks.

You can read my tribute to Mike on my LiveJournal, and you'll see me back on Charlie Parker... very soon.

4 comments :

Mike said...

My condolences on your loss. Before reading about who was in this picture, I was immediately reminded by it of the collection of photos posted on Flickr by a fellow who posts there as Oook.

He posts many pictures from the first part of the last century from Nova Scotia. If you have roots there, you may want to check out his collection.

mwl said...

My warmest wishes for you and your family , Stephen.
A toast to lives lived.


cheers


Mark

la peregrina said...

My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Uncle Mike. I went to LiveJournal and read your tribute. It sounds like your uncle was a wonderful man.

swac said...

Thanks for all of that guys, most appreciated. There is lots of other stuff going on as well, some good, some bad, but I'm busily trying to come up with another Great Moment in Moxie.

We all need plenty more Moxie.