The Women #7


Nancy Carroll
from The New Movie Album: An Autographed Who's Who of the Screen (1931).
"My sister and I entered a local talent contest at one of the Loew Theatres on the East Side of New York. Encouraged by our reception, we got jobs in the 'Passing Show' of 1923. In the chorus, of course. A dance specialty led me to the leading feminine role in the show. My mother refused to let me go on the road so I went in the 'Topics of 1923' and appeared in one of the sketches as Madame Du Barry. After a brief period in New York I had the chance to go West and appeared in California in support of Nancy Welford in 'Nancy,' after which I appeared with Lupino Lane and Fanny Brice in two Music Box Revuews. It was in these that Louis MacLoon saw me and offered me the leading role in 'Loose Ankles' which toured the Pacific Coast and at the conclusion of this tour he cast me for the lead in 'Chicago.' I did not feel I had any particular future in motion pictures, but after a screen test I was cast in 'Ladies Must Dress' starring Virginia Valli. Then Paramount launched a search for a girl to play Rosemary in 'Abie's Irish Rose.' I called at the Studio to keep a luncheon appointment with a friend. Ann Nichols, who was passing thorugh the foyer, saw me and gave me the part. My first talking picture was 'Close Harmony.' I have red hair and blue eyes."

No comments: