The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Women #4


Joan Bennett
From The New Movie Album: An Autorgraphed Who's Who of the Screen (1931)
"I am the youngest of Richard Bennett's three daughters and I was born in 1911, at the Palisades, New Jersey. Although my family were against a stage career for any of us, I, like my other two sisters, Constance and Barbara, decided to cast my lot with motion pictures. I was tutored privately until I was eight years old and then sent to St. Margaret's Boarding School at Waterbury, Conn. My education was completed at L'Ermitage, a finishing school at Versailles, France. Up to the time that I made my debut in support of my father on the stage in 'Jarnegan,' I had had no theatrical experience. This was in 1928. Motion picture executives seeing me in the play decided I should go to Hollywood at the conclusion of the run of 'Jarnegan' in New York. My first film part was Ronald Colman's leading lady in 'Bulldog Drummond.' This led to a contract with United Artists, and I was cast in the principal role in 'Three Live Ghosts.' Then came 'Disraeli' in which I supported George Arliss; 'Puttin' on the Ritz' with Harry Richmond. In the latter picture I sang my first song before the microphone, 'With You.' Next I was cast in the featured feminine role in 'Crazy That Way.' then portrayed John Barrymore's leading lady in 'Moby Dick,' and then the principal feminine role in 'Maybe It's Love.'"

No comments :