The Women #3


Constance Bennett
from The New Movie Album: An Autographed Who's Who of the Screen (1931)

"Although my mother did everything she could to keep my two sisters and myself from going on the stage, by keeping us away from theatrical people, each one of us has chosen to be an actress. But then having had a grandfather, Lewis Morrison, who played 'Faust' for seventeen years and a father, Richard Bennett, who is also a well-known actor, she was fighting against almost overwhelming odds. After finishing school and a debut in Washington, I happened to meet Samuel Goldwyn at an Equity Ball, and he persuaded me to try a part in 'Cytherea.' After that I was completely won over to moving pictures, except for the time I was married to Phillip Plant, who objected to my appearing on the screen. I collect antique jade, ivory or gold Chinese snuff boxes, and am proud of my numerous treasures and keepsakes, one of which is the velvet fur cape my grandfather wore in 'Faust.' I dislike any form of conceit, or anything which is conspicuous, which probably accounts for my real aversion to making public appearances. And while all moving picture actresses in the old days were supposed to have expresssed a secret yearning for home and children, I sometimes wonder if perhaps that isn't a pretty sound idea after all. My newest picture for Pathe is 'Sin Takes a Holiday.'"

No comments: