The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Women #2


Mary Astor
(from The New Movie Album Autographed Who's Who of the Screen, 1931)

"I was born in Quincy, Ill., where my father who had been a professor of languages in the University of Kansas had come to take a position in the high school. And when I was six we moved to a poultry farm outside of Quincy where I attended a little district school. My mother had stage ambitions for me and we eventually went to Chicago where she took a position as a teacher in the Kenwood Loring School for Girls thus payng for my tuition so that I could study. I had won honorable mention in a beauty contest conducted by a fan magazine, and encouraged by this we went to New York to see the publisher. He entered me in the finals of the contest and I won second place. Then Lejaren Hillyer selected me as lead in a series of one-reelers based on the story of famous paintings and I kept at directors until I was chosen to play with Huntley Gordon in three two-reelers made in the Canadian North Woods. I made my first full length picture as Eugene O'Brien's leading woman in 'John Smith.' So I have played opposite most of the male stars in Hollywood. Before I had my first opportunity in talking pictures I was idle eight months, finally getting the lead in 'Among the Married,' and on the day following the opening night I received six offers from film companies. My real name is Lucille Langhanke."

1 comment :

swac said...

I have no idea what Among the Married might be...although she was in a film in 1928 called Three Ring Marriage, which is as close as I could get.